John Lang focuses his practice on real estate, business law, estate planning issues and trusts and estate . His extensive training as a certified public accountant as well as a certified real property law specialist, in addition to his 30 years of experience allow him to quickly size up the issues in complex transactions and complex legal situations involving real estate, tax and business acquisitions. In so doing, he can provide trusted counseling that is both legally sound and cost-effective.
John’s clients typically are small to mid-sized businesses and their owners, many of whom are entrepreneurs or former entrepreneurs whose businesses have become successful. Often these owners turn to John for strategic planning related to all their personal and business related legal issues.
In addition, John is well-versed in Tenancy in Common (TIC transactions) and Delaware Statutory Trusts (DSTs) which are used in conjunction with IRS Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges, a specialized legal mechanism which allows property owners to exchange appreciated real estate holdings without incurring capital gains taxes. For all of this, John has earned the honor of ranking AV Preeminent® in the Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, the profession’s highest ranking for legal ability and ethical standards.
In 2012, John returned to serve a second stint as President of Messerli & Kramer P.A. having previously served as President from 2001 to 2004, as well as numerous times on its Board of Directors.
- Minnesota, 1982
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota, 1983
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 1983
- U.S. Tax Court, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1993
- Wisconsin, 1997
- University of Minnesota, J.D., cum laude, 1982
- Carlson School of Management, BSB Accounting, 1979
- Certified Public Accountant by the Minnesota State Board of Accountancy 1982 (Inactive)
- Certified Real Property Law Specialist by the Real Property Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association 1995
- Qualified Neutral Arbitrator and Mediator by the Minnesota Supreme Court
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Real Property Law Section
- Eminent Domain Section
- Probate and Trust Law Section
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
Click here for a printable bio