Justin Brunner is a member of the Business Litigation Group and handles all types of compliance counseling and litigation for business owners and employers. Justin counsels employers and organizations on compliance strategies on the front end, and he also represents them if they end up in arbitration or litigation before administrative agencies, Minnesota courts, or federal courts at the trial phase or on appeal.
While Justin works on a broad range of subjects and case types in business litigation, he also offers specialized experience in environmental law. Serving in positions with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Chicago Environmental Law Clinic while completing his law degree, Justin has seen the best results come when the regulated community and their regulators collaborate and keep business realities in the forefront of their minds. As an attorney, Justin now pursues the best solution for the business by translating environmental requirements into a practical strategy for compliance and helping clients navigate litigation of complex environmental issues.
In Justin's broad business litigation practice, he also offers significant counsel on employment law. Justin has handled discrimination and retaliation claims in both federal and state administrative agencies and courts. He has worked extensively on whistleblower claims under the Federal Rail Safety Act (49 U.S.C. § 20109) at a firm that was ranked by U.S. News and World Report as National Tier 1 for railroad law. Justin's background allows him to offer meaningful advice to avoid litigation and to shepherd employers through litigation if necessary.
Whether Justin is handling business disputes, environmental issues, or workplace challenges, clients appreciate Justin’s attention to detail and his ability to approach complex legal issues with business sense. They count on him to defend difficult positions with a strong command of the facts in each case, pursuing every avenue necessary for resolution.
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (Illinois Institute of Technology), J.D. with Honors, Certificate in Environmental and Energy Law, 2008 (This certificate was bestowed by Chicago-Kent College of Law upon completion of required coursework; it is not a certification by the Minnesota Board of Legal Certification or an accredited organization of that Board.)
- University of Minnesota Law School, Visiting Student, 2008
- Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, B.S. in Zoology, 2004
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Environmental, Natural Resources and Energy Law Section
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Former Member, Academy of Rail Labor Attorneys (ARLA)
Click here for a printable bio