Nancy Haas focuses her practice on government relations and is chair of Messerli & Kramer’s governmental relations division and sits on the board of directors. As the chair of the division, Nancy focuses on maintaining a team environment that encourages the success of each member. One of her most meaningful awards is winning Minnesota Lawyer’s Attorney of the Year award in 2013 for her groundbreaking work as the lead lobbyist to bring marriage equality to Minnesota.
Before joining Messerli and Kramer, Nancy worked in local government, state agencies, and the Legislature, so she has a strong understanding of how government operates. Her work includes helping clients with issues that come before each of those governmental entities. She advocates for legislation favorable to her clients and opposes legislation that goes against their interests. Nancy also assists clients in ensuring they follow the rules governing campaign finance and guides coalitions that work to support or defeat initiatives.
Taking a genuine interest in her clients, she learns about their world and guides them through processes at the Legislature. Clients appreciate her approach and her ability to use her strong connections to help them reach their goals. In turn, she enjoys assisting in their success. Nancy is politically active and community-minded. One of her special interests has been law enforcement. A licensed peace officer, Nancy works during the summer at the Minnesota State Fair.
Specialties: Representing and advising clients before the Minnesota Legislature and state agencies for industries such as public safety and civil law, transportation, healthcare, energy and tax.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D.
- St. Olaf College, B.A.
- Certification of Completion-Skills Program, Alexandria Technical and Community College
- Licensed peace officer
- St. Paul Police Foundation, Chair
- Ramsey County Bar Association, Ethics Committee Member
- William Mitchell College of Law, Hatchey Ambassador Mentor Program
- Messerli & Kramer Attorney Development Committee, Member
- 180 Degrees, Capital Campaign Co-Chair
- Minnesota Governmental Relations Council, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce, former Grassroots Committee Chair
- Midway Chamber of Commerce, former Board Member
Click here for a printable bio