Messerli Kramer is a leading law firm in the Twin Cities founded in 1965 with locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Plymouth, Minnesota. We have a well-earned reputation within the business community of providing sound, reasoned and comprehensive legal advice. Our professionals take the time to listen and understand their legal issues within the larger framework of their business as a whole. Known for our dedication and responsiveness, our attorneys and staff are focused on finding pragmatic solutions and producing remarkable results for our clients.
Messerli Kramer is currently seeking a highly skilled Billing Coordinator to join its Accounting group in our Minneapolis office. The Billing Coordinator is responsible for the completion of all facets of the billing function for the firm. The position requires working with attorneys to proactively administer their billing responsibilities including preparation of client invoices and statements as well as monitoring and follow-up after they are sent.
Description of Duties
- Generate and distribute Proformas for each attorney at the beginning of each month, after the time entry deadline
- Preparation and processing of high quality invoices in a timely manner
- Monitor status of retainer billings, generate invoices and prepare necessary reports
- Show tenacity and drive in following up with billing attorneys and others in order to resolve client billing issues and ensure invoices are approved and billed
- Apply/allocate fee receipts and monitor and manage unapplied funds
- Track and reconcile daily cash receipts to billing system
- As requested, handle billing and client driven requests
- Communicate new/changes in client policies to timekeepers
- Edit draft invoices based on partners’ mark-up, including write-offs, in accordance with firm policies/procedures; acquire appropriate write-off approvals based on write-off amount thresholds
- Time entry narrative changes with respect to additions, corrections, deletions
- Pull back-up of costs to include with final invoices based on a client’s billing requirements
- Prepare electronic invoices in LEDES; submit electronic invoices to clients via their designated electronic billing system and verify successful submissions
- Ensure three way communications between e-billing site, client and the Firm (as the e-billing site processes invoices based on the Clients’ Outside Counsel Billing Guidelines)
- Track status of bills submitted, identify issues, and work to address rejections and reductions as they arise
- Provide assistance to attorneys and clients regarding outstanding and/or short paid invoices
- Communicate situations as they arise that may require follow-up, such as rate issues, delays in billing, difficult requests, etc.
- Daily review of new client/matter intake and change requests to ensure accuracy of data in the core accounting system
- Provide administrative and accounting support to remainder of accounting team as needed
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- A minimum of five years’ experience as a billing specialist in a law firm
- Highly skilled biller with thorough knowledge of Elite/Enterprise billing system and E-billing systems
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex billing arrangements and ensure the highest quality and customer service
- Aptitude for establishing operational efficiencies and creating best practices
- MS Office with emphasis on Word and Excel
Other Skills and Abilities
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Proofreads accurately
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Messerli Kramer offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and 401K/profit sharing retirement package.
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume along with your cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your salary expectations.