This posting is for our Office Manager position out of the Minneapolis office.
About Messerli Kramer
Founded in 1965, Messerli Kramer is a top-20 law firm in Minnesota, with offices in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Plymouth, along with satellite offices in Denver, Milwaukee, and Omaha. We have a well-earned reputation within the business community of providing sound, reasoned and comprehensive legal advice. With an emphasis on building lasting relationships with our clients, our professionals take the time to listen and understand their legal issues within the larger framework of their business as a whole. Known for our dedication and responsiveness, our attorneys and staff are focused on finding pragmatic solutions and producing remarkable results for our clients.
Messerli Kramer serves individuals and businesses through three unique, yet complementary, divisions. We represent a variety of clients. The Office Manager supports and manages certain operations of the Minneapolis Division, which is comprised of the following practice groups: Banking and Finance, Business Litigation, Corporate and Estate Planning, Commercial Real Estate and Family Law.
Position Details for the Office Manager Position:
The Office Manager’s key responsibilities include managing all legal support staff which include but not limited to legal administrative assistants, paralegals and other administrative personnel that support our Minneapolis Division.
Responsibilities will include planning operational objectives, determining team responsibilities and schedules, making adjustments or recommending enhancements in systems and day-to-day operational processes, providing day-to-day work flow direction, and primary input to hiring, firing, and promotion and performance for direct reports. The Officer Manager partners and collaborates with practice group leaders to determine best structure and resource allocation to support the Minneapolis Division.
Responsible for planning, initiating, monitoring, tracking and/or prioritizing legal administrative projects and process improvement initiatives, including contract and legal matter administration Develops, coordinates, and enforces systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards.
The Office Manager is responsible for leading and supporting the full range of organizational administrative responsibilities as well as coordinating efforts to support and drive effective and efficient operations.
This role reports to the Minneapolis Division Chair and will reside in our downtown Minneapolis office. This individual will be responsible for maintaining the Minneapolis division’s policies and procedures related to management of office.
Primary Responsibilities for the Office Manager Position:
- Assigning and supervising clerical staff, Legal Administrative Assistants, and administrative tasks and responsibilities among the office staff
- Assessing the workflow and workload of Legal Administrative Assistants, assuring proper coverage and backup support and adjusting as necessary to ensure Attorneys and Paralegals have proper support at all times
- Approving PTO requests for all Legal Administrative Assistants and staff
- Managing Records Management staff and processes
- Evaluating and managing staff performance, recruiting and selection of office staff in coordination with Human Resources.
- Coordinating office staff activities and allocating resources to ensure maximum efficiency and execution
- Overseeing the conflicts process and onboarding of new lateral attorney hires including the transfer of physical and digital files
- Managing the onboarding process for new employees
- Managing filing systems to ensure they are properly maintained
- Designing, implementing and managing office procedures and policies to improve operational efficiencies.
- Managing external vendors and vendor relationships and conducting periodic RFPs
- Partner with committee for non-client events including attorney retreats, internal celebrations and seasonal parties
- Conduct any required safety trainings per building management and monitor safety/weather alerts to communicate to employees.
- Attending department-specific meetings to provide guidance and support as needed
- Serving as a member of our management team at weekly leadership meetings, annual meetings, and attending Board meetings as necessary
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Office Manager Position:
- Knowledge of accounting, administrative and data management procedures and practices
- Knowledge of management and business principles
- A four-year degree is required. An emphasis in Office Administration or Organizational Development is a plus.
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant experience in office management with proven success in a law firm or professional services setting.
- Experience with managing facilities and construction projects
- Experience managing and leading teams in a professional services organization
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, eDocs and room scheduling software. Sharepoint experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the legal marketplace in the Twin Cities
- Ability to work extended hours as necessary to fulfill responsibilities.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds as this position may need to move and store boxes of files, unpack supplies, and organize existing inventory of stationary and copy paper
Key Competencies for the Office Manager Position:
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to learn, as well as improve processes and add value
- Detailed problem analysis, assessment, and decision-making skills
- Excellent prioritizing, planning, organizing, time and project management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; strong work ethic; and poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and complete tasks under time pressure when necessary
- Consistently demonstrates honesty, integrity and respect for others, role modeling this behavior.
This is a great opportunity to become part of a talented team in a great work environment. We are looking for an experienced professional who can deliver high quality work, help support our growing firm, and continue to move our office culture forward. We offer a competitive salary and benefits program. If you would be a good fit for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to: Recruiting@MesserliKramer.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Messerli Kramer is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.