Messerli Kramer is a top-20 Minnesota law firm founded in 1965 with locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Plymouth, Minnesota. We have a well-earned reputation within the business community of providing sound, reasoned and comprehensive legal advice. With an emphasis on building lasting relationships with our clients, our professionals take the time to listen and understand their legal issues within the larger framework of their business as a whole. Known for our dedication and responsiveness, our attorneys and staff are focused on finding pragmatic solutions and producing remarkable results for our clients.
Messerli Kramer serves individuals and businesses through three unique, yet complementary, divisions. We represent a variety of clients—from large corporations, banks and closely-held businesses—to individuals seeking divorce and family law or estate planning services. Our clients trust us to help them navigate the myriad legal issues that confront them in their business and personal lives.
The Office Manager is responsible for leading and supporting the full range of organizational administrative responsibilities as well as coordinating efforts to support and drive effective and efficient operations. This position is located in our downtown Minneapolis office, reports to the Minneapolis Division Chair and oversees the Minneapolis office.
Primary responsibilities include managing support staff, organizing and coordinating office operations and resources. Act as the lead resource for administrative support and serves as a back-up when needed. Responsible for maintaining the Minneapolis division’s policies and procedures related to management of the office. Responsibilities also include managing the filing system, managing budgets, maintaining supplies and managing vendor contracts and relationships.
The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assigning and supervising clerical staff, Legal Administrative Assistants, and administrative tasks and responsibilities among the office staff.
- Assessing the workflow and workload of Legal Administrative Assistants, assuring proper coverage and backup support and adjusting as necessary to ensure Attorneys and Paralegals have proper support at all times.
- Approving PTO requests for all Legal Administrative Assistants and staff.
- Managing Records Management staff and processes.
- Evaluating and managing staff performance, recruiting and selection of office staff in coordination with Human Resources.
- Coordinating office staff activities and allocating resources to ensure maximum efficiency and execution.
- Establishing and monitoring procedures for office record keeping ensuring the confidentiality and security of data.
- Maintaining firm calendar, phone lists, seating charts, and organization charts. Overseeing the conflicts process and onboarding of new lateral attorney hires including the transfer of physical and digital files.
- Overseeing the conflicts process with new client and new file openings.
- Coordinating with Human Resources to provide new employees with information related to the management and maintenance of the office, updating the information as necessary.
- Ensuring the setup of all new hire desks including equipment, office sign, supplies and welcome gift.
- Managing filing systems to ensure they are properly maintained.
- Designing, implementing and managing office procedures and policies to improve operational efficiency.
- Managing external vendors and vendor relationships and conducting periodic RFPs to ensure optimal pricing of goods and services.
- Approving vendor invoices for office-related projects.
- Maintaining and taking inventory of our internal printed materials.
- Planning and execution of non-client events including attorney retreats, internal celebrations and other seasonal parties.
- Ordering gifts for life events of our employees according to the firm’s policy (births, deaths, key life events).
- Supporting IT department in communications to all staff regarding updates, changes and maintenance of security software and adherence to security policies and procedures.
- Serving as the firm liaison to building management for all facilities-related issues.
- Providing product/service support in order to establish proper channels of information and communication.
- Managing office-specific projects such as build-outs, expansions and expense report system upgrades and other as needed.
- Attending department-specific meetings to provide guidance and support as needed.
- Serving as a member of our management team at weekly leadership meetings, annual meetings, and attending Board meetings as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required
- Knowledge of accounting, administrative and data management procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of management and business principles.
- A four-year degree is required. An emphasis in Office Administration or Organizational Development is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in office management with proven success in a law firm or professional services setting.
- Experience working with and managing agency partners, exhibiting the ability to generate maximum return through effective management strategies and direction.
- Experience with managing facilities and construction projects.
- Experience managing and leading teams in a professional services organization.
- Strong computer skills including working knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, eDocs and room scheduling software. Sharepoint experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the legal marketplace in the Twin Cities.
- Ability to work extended hours as necessary to fulfill responsibilities.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds as this position may need to move and store boxes of files, unpack supplies, and organize existing inventory of stationary and copy paper.
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to learn as well as improve processes and add value.
- Detailed problem analysis, assessment, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent prioritizing, planning, organizing, time and project management.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; strong work ethic; and poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and complete tasks under time pressure when necessary.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty, integrity and respect for others, role modeling this behavior.
This is a great opportunity to become part of a talented team in a great work environment. We are looking for an experienced professional who can deliver high quality work, help support our growing practice and positively influence our culture. We offer a competitive salary and benefit program. If you would be a good fit for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: Recruiting@MesserliKramer.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Messerli Kramer is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.