Terri Running has spent her career in banking, debtor-creditor matters, and bankruptcy. She has a unique perspective on these issues because she has experience as a lender, creditor’s attorney, debtor’s attorney, trustee, and trustee’s attorney. Terri has a represented a wide range of clients in bankruptcy cases and in contested matters and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court, work-outs and settlements for distressed loans, and secured transactions. She brings a pragmatic approach to problem solving for her clients, and where possible strives to match the solution to the client’s goals.
Represented chapter 7 trustee with respect to various bankruptcy litigation matters, including preference and fraudulent transfer claims, sales of assets free and clear of liens, objections to claimed exemptions, objections to proof of claims, and denial of discharge.
Litigated contested motion for relief from stay in favor of creditor with respect to residential real estate.
Represented national bank in connection with various out-of-court workouts and settlements and bankruptcy matters relating to commercial loan portfolio.
Represented defendants in bankruptcy litigation with respect to preference and fraudulent transfer claims.
Obtained judgment in favor of defendant in adversary proceeding for willful and malicious injury at trial and subsequent appeal to the Eighth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.
Obtained judgment at trial in favor of plaintiff that his student loans were dischargeable under 11 U.S.C. section 523(a)(8) on the basis of undue hardship.
Represented debtors in Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
Co-editor, “Bankruptcy Practice in Minnesota Deskbook” – Minnesota CLE, 1st Ed. 2012, Updated 2016
Author, “Legal Quick Sheet – Summary of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy for Individual Debtors” – Minnesota CLE
- Co-Presenter, “Equipment Leasing Update” – Edina Country Club, July 17, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Bankruptcy Essentials: A Friendly Dialog Among the Players” – Hennepin County Bar Association, May 15, 2019
Presenter, “Completing the Bankruptcy Petition” – Minnesota CLE, March 14, 2011
Co-Presenter, “Ethics and Professionalism in Bankruptcy Practice” – Minnesota CLE, April 6, 2010
Co-Presenter, “New Relief from Stay Requirements under Local Rule 4001-1 and Local Form 4004-1, and Issues in Redemption Motions” – Minnesota CLE’s Bankruptcy Institute, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- Board Certified in Consumer Bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota, Practice Committee Member
- Associate Editor, Minnesota Law Review
- Raeder Larson Public Service Award, Minnesota State Bar Association Bankruptcy Section, 2001